Thursday 2 July 2009

Falling off the rock 'n' roll wagon

Where do I start with Kasabian? Ever since they infiltrated my consciousness I've doubted them, championed them, slagged them off, doubted them again, though not necessarily in that order.

Why have I been so schizophrenic? As a teenager in the 90's I was in absolute awe of Oasis. They were the first band I adored and so great was my admiration, that for a long period of time I was unable to appreciate any other band fully, no matter how great they may have been. As the Mancunians invincibility wained, I still continued to worship diligently, hoping in vain that they may somehow recapture past glories.

Of course, they never have. Now, one uninspiring album after another is churned out to muted discourse and after years of disappointment, I have, thankfully, weaned myself off the band. I now freely admit their considerable flaws although still struggle not to remain in thrall to that mid 90's period where it really did feel like they were our generation's Beatles.

So with Kasabian, I feel a little like a reformed alcoholic. After a long battle with the booze, followed by some period of going 'clean', I know that abstinence must be total, the merest sniff of the 'good stuff' being enough to tip me back over into the abyss.

Initially, therefore I had no time for Kasabian, their cod Gallagher musings even their admittedly rebel-rousing tunes. Not until 'Empire' was being carried across the radio airwaves did I have to grudgingly admit there might be more to Kasabian than had first met the eye. I decided to approach their latest material with a more open mind.

I should have known that leaving the door even slightly ajar would be enough for the irresistible beats of 'Vlad the Impaler' to come crashing through and paint the walls of my mind with its brazen swagger. Hot on its heels came first single proper, 'Fire', which is defiantly unshakeable. I could feel myself falling off the wagon.

On the eve of its release, I found myself for the first time anticipating one of their albums, 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum'....

No comments: