Wednesday 28 July 2010

Ambition Exhibition

Sometimes you read a blog, a newspaper article or, as in this case, an interview, that expresses a point of view matching one you've been harbouring for a while yet had previously doubted the validity of.
This happened to me only yesterday.

For a long time I've felt there are certain bands, championed by the music press, and even some friends of mine, who simply don't deserve the accolades or attention they receive. I won't name them specifically but they tend to be pedalling a new wave 'sound and vision' that apes those of the late 70's post punk era.

I've wondered whether it was just me, whether I was missing something, just being obstinate in my snobbery, but no, there, in a new interview with Nicky Wire, bassist and lyricist with Manic Street Preachers, was a sentiment echoing mine....

The thing with Oasis splitting, you think what is there left? All those people who moan on about the ’90s fucking everything because all the bands became too big, I just keep thinking, what are we left with? An eternity of absolute fucking indie shit that’s not connecting with anyone. There are some truly desperate people out there. They’re lower than tedium. There are bands and they’re aping Ian Curtis but they’re not taking inspiration from the deepness and the true poetry of his lyrics, they’re just doing his fucking kooky dance. They’ve made the whole thing into a cabaret act. For us, Ian Curtis is one of the great writers in any field of the 20th century.

If it's good enough for Nicky, it's good enough for me! In truth, I was relieved when Oasis split, it should have happened a long time ago, but still I can see his point here too. Where is the ambition of those 90's bands now?

For all their flaws their aim of world domination was certainly admirable. And whilst the likes of many of today's young bands pedal the worthy image of artistic integrity, in truth, they're not championing, nor displaying, the very values that made the likes of Curtis great. Indeed, it is just the 'kooky dance'! I feel like we're being hoodwinked. At least the bands of the 90's were honest.

As much as I think the Manics' last album 'Journal For Plague Lovers' (no singles but critical acclaim) is a masterpiece, there's still a little part of me that wants to see the bands I love reach number 1. That the mission statement for their forthcoming LP is as follows fills me with a sense of delight.

One last shot at mass communication

No comments: