Tuesday 9 November 2010

Don't Give Up

Last month I joined the Labour Party. Despite voting, it's the only active political step I suppose I've ever taken and, in all honesty, I'm not even sure what it really means for me.

It feels good to finally pin my colours to the mast at least. Like many, I am confounded by the actions of the current coalition government and feel duped, in particular, by the Liberal Democrat Party.

I voted for them, albeit tactically, but if the current coalition has taught me anything, it's that I will never again allow myself to be drawn away from my political principles, nor indulge, for that matter, in the ultimately negative and personally dishonest practice of voting tactically. It's sticking to your principles you see, that which Nick Clegg seems incapable of doing.

So I pay my few pounds a month to the Labour cause, it's far from being an activist I know. Still, I hope that out of small acorns, great oaks may grow.

To paraphrase Tony Benn in his recent interview with Nicky Wire, 'I won't give up' and I'll leave you with this article which outlines why we all shouldn't.

No comments: