Friday 21 January 2011

England's Dreaming

It already feels like a distant memory now, but I couldn't let England's cricketing triumph down-under pass without comment. Although, undoubtedly, our first series victory in Australia for 24 years is memorable for many reasons, perhaps what has struck me most is the surreal nature of following an event that is unfolding while I sleep!

Not having the luxury of Sky Sports, nor the iron constitution to pull an 'all nighter', it's almost as if it's been happening in a completely different dimension!

I can thank BBC 5Live's Test Match Special Podcast for keeping me in the loop but apart from that it's been general practice to wake in the morning and, before all else, nip down to my DAB radio and tune into the post 'close of play' analysis.

The sense of anticipation as I reached for the dial was tangible. What would confront me? An England batting collapse, a bowling display of the highest order or a double century for Alistair Cook?

Thankfully, the news was more often positive than not and it really set up my day for the better as I contemplated my commute to work.

On arrival at the office, a colleague of mine, who's passion and knowledge for cricket could - although hasn't until now - lead me to nickname him 'Wisden', would remark on the night's play, seeking my opinion and giving rise to an unprecedented eventuality: never before has so much been opined by someone seeing so little of the events under discussion!

Somehow, I can't help but think the reality of this success will never truly sink in. The last Ashes series in England was a widely acclaimed success, the previous home soil series led to a celebratory open top bus procession through London!!

I've a certain sadness that this, clearly greater, achievement will undoubtedly be far less lauded by the general public nor even, I expect, prick the nation's wider conscience. I almost wonder if it really happened at all!

Certainly puts a new spin on that most sticky of philosophical wickets...

No comments: