Tuesday 26 July 2011

Library saved!

Part of the library at IMarEST HQ
When it became apparent the library I've been solely managing for the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST) for the past three years would no longer be accommodated in our new office building, it began a long and desperate search for a suitable and willing recipient of a collection that was 121 years in the making.

For 18 months I feared, that should no one come forward, the library would be broken up and sent to the four corners of the country or, worse still, pillaged by our Members only for the remnants to end up in the bottom of a skip.

Thankfully, after a number of false dawns, an organisation called Lloyd's Register have, at the 11th hour, agreed to house the entire collection as well as allowing our Members continued access. It's the best possible result in the circumstances and, as well as feeling euphoric at maintaining the collection as an important piece of maritime history, I'm selfishly grateful not to be the man 'on watch' when the death knell tolls.

Of course both organisations see it as a potential opportunity for some positive press and as such I'm going to record it here over the next few blogs for posterity. Although my counterparts at Lloyd's Register deserve the greater credit, I'm really proud that I was able to play my own little part in a positive piece of library related news.

No comments: