Wednesday 3 December 2008

Integrity's Gone

I hate it when bands re-issue a recent album with an additional track/tracks. Not only is it the most obvious attempt to squeeze a few more unit sales out of an album, but it punishes real fans who, having gone out and bought the album on release, find they've lost out on new material.

I like Glasvegas, their album's a little hit and miss for me but the 'hits' are really quite something. Despite myself, 'Geraldine' bought a lump to my throat when I first heard that crunch line and 'It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry' is one of the best 'break-up' songs I've ever heard.

Why then do they have to go and spoil it by bringing out a new version with, count them, 6 new tracks?!! I've no problem with a Christmas mini-album per se, but release it as an independent EP not a tag-on to your album.

I guess every band lets you down but what happened to the likes of The Smiths and The Clash who refused to put any singles on their albums? That's Amazing!!

Kudos to the Arctic Monkey's who have at least bucked the trend by releasing EP's and stand alone singles in the past but, although it's an obvious thing to say, I can't get past the injustice of 'Deluxe' or 'DVD Extra discs' appearing just a couple of months after release. At least get them out at the same time so the fans have a choice.

I know bands can sometimes be slaves to their record company who go against their wishes, it happened to The Clash of course. However in that case, it inspired one of the bands most polemic songs in 'Complete Control'. With today's lot, you imagine a shrug of the shoulders masks a multitude of sins.

1 comment:

Gareth/Charlotte said...

Brilliantly put - been one of my bugbears for years