Tuesday 30 December 2008

Time to Pretend

Back in England and back in Blogland. It feels like a long time and I guess it has been looking back at the date of my last post. I've returned to Blighty, Christmas has come and gone and now it's nearly the end of the year.

Although I generally tend to sneer cynically at all the new year resolutions and associated traditions (it's somehow not as wholesome and as heart warming as Christmas), I'll be trying to constructively reflect on what's been and what I plan for the future. Having said that, I won't be so naive as to make any resolutions. One year I resolved to learn to play guitar and run the marathon. I eventually did achieve both (although neither with style it has to be said) but it took me the best part of four years to do so.

Of course the plus point of New Year's Eve in particular is the carte blanche it gives people to get absolutely off their face. Yes, it is a plus point. For every boozy thug that sees it as an excuse to get hammered and cause a bust up with a bouncer, they'll be some genuinely hopeful that 2009 will bring a changing of the winds, an escape from tragedy or a reversal of fortunes.

Whatever the reason, I guess the true importance of the new year celebrations might be that for some it's an excuse to hope, a time to pretend, regardless of the reality that after all it is just another day come the 1st January.

It's still a precious pretense.

No comments: