Wednesday 26 August 2009

Passion is a fashion



I couldn't resist posting up this brilliant photo of 'The Clash'. I was reminded of how much I loved it when it appeared in a film I watched recently. Discussions on 'School of Rock'/Jack Black I shall leave for another day but in the meantime enjoy the energy and perfect aesthetic captured in this image of a truly great band.

There's a far more famous Pennie Smith photo of Paul Simonon smashing his bass guitar, voted 'Q' magazine's best Rock 'N' Roll photo of all time, but what I particularly love in this image are his snarling lips and angular stance. With Mick Jones (on the right) caught mid 'windmill' arm, you get a real sense of the urgency with which the band played live.

I would have loved to have seen 'The Clash' in their pomp but with that an impossibility I'll have to settle for this footage of them performing 'Clampdown' which for me sums up how a band should perform on stage: posturing, gyrating and looking fundamentally cool!

No comments: