Saturday 1 August 2009

Summer holidays and 'The Swines'

Having recently been away for a few days in Dorset and having the rest of the week off to spend with family, I've had a much needed break from the routine sparking lie-ins, meals out and a general devil may care attitude to expenditure.

This has been liberating but now I find myself worrying a) that I haven't got enough cash to get me through the rest of the month b) that my return to work will divulge a plethora of disasters occurring in my absence and c) that I haven't had enough time to catch up with the usual string of 'witticisms' on twitter over the last few days. I must be mad!

***

Swine-Flu. I wonder if there would be so much hysteria if the word 'flu' was prefixed with something less threatening than 'Swine' ("Ooh the little swine's gone and pinched me knickers off the wash line"). Perhaps if this strain of the virus had originated in rabbits rather than pigs and was given the name 'Bunny-flu', everyone would be quite happy to be infected and we'd all think nothing worse of it than if we'd picked up a slight sniffle in the rain on a damp Tuesday. After all, bird-flu, a far more dangerous disease to humans, seemed timid in comparison.

Imagine the furore if some equally tame illness was found to come from spiders! Arachno-flu. Now there's a phrase to conjure with!

No comments: