Tuesday 4 May 2010

'Radio' silence

I threatened to do this on twitter last month, now I've decided to go through with it - I'm going to give up listening to podcasts for a whole month!

This may not sound like a massive sacrifice but, believe me, it's self flagellation of the most severe kind. No Barry G and ACJimbo on 'Football Weekly', no Mayo and Kermode's film reviews and, worst of all, no weekly double dose of Frank Skinner!!!

Being in the knowledge I shall miss out on all the banter is akin to a 'cat 'o' nine tails' unleashed on my crown jewels.

So 'why', you ask, would I do it to myself? As wonderful as owning an iPod undoubtedly is, and as grateful as I am for the companionship of a podcast during my daily commute, it does tend to leave you a slave to its serialized nature.

I perhaps only listen to 5 or 6 podcasts but at roughly an hour each, my week is soon consumed by them, leaving little time for the more traditional pleasure of sitting down to a good book. Not being blessed with many opportunities to do so at home, I therefore rely on my 3hrs 'train time' a day for the lion's share of my cultural engorgement.

I'm ashamed to admit this, especially as a librarian, but I have yet to read, in full, a single book since Christmas. My 'New Year's Resolution' was to read more! Pah!

The time invested in reading a book may be considerable but that in itself brings rewards that no amount of web browsing, blog reading or twittering can come close to.

Now, having just received 4 new and wonderful books for my birthday, I have a backlog of unread gems that's rapidly becoming a library collection in itself!!

I'll let you know how well I get on once the month is up!

Books to be read in the month of May:

It's Only A Movie - Mark Kermode
Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths - Simon Goddard
The Hell of it All - Charlie Brooker
Kings of the King's Road: The Great Chelsea Team of the 60s and 70s - Clive Batty
Touching From a Distance: Ian Curtis and Joy Division - Deborah Curtis
Disgusting Bliss: The Brass Eye of Chris Morris - Lucian Randall
The Clash - Stummer, Jones, Simonon, Headon
Watchmen - Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore

Books of Albion - Pete Doherty


No comments: