Friday 31 October 2008

SAD light

It's a strange time of year. The clocks have changed, meaning lighter mornings but dark, dark afternoons, the most beautiful of the seasons, autumn, is giving way rapidly to the harsh cold of winter and to top it all off there's a bus replacement service between Merstham and Purley on my rail line to work.

Needless to say, I'm having trouble adapting to these developments. I've become acutely aware of the passing of time. I'm only 26!! Yet, whether it be the limbo I find myself in at work whilst awaiting the relocation of the library, or the constant reminders that after three years of marriage it might just be time to consider having a baby, I feel like there's a clock ticking away at the back of my mind.

Of course this is all nonsense. I'd love a little ginger fella or fellaress to be wondering around the house, bashing into things and causing sheer panic as he or she approaches the ironing board, and after all, work is just work, so in the words of Joe Strummer, "...shut your mouth and pretend you enjoy it..."

Perhaps I'm more of a control freak than I realised. It's flipping hard to let go of your destiny and just give it up to fate, chance, God, whatever. That cliched old line from Kipling's poem has just entered my mind, "If you can keep your head, yada, yada, yada".

Maybe next week I'll learn to let go a little more. At least by then the engineering works will have finished!!

2 comments:

Gareth/Charlotte said...

It sounds like you have given in!
Charlotte

jockyblue82 said...

Ha ha!! Not quite yet, but maybe in the not too distant future!