Friday 27 February 2009

How to dismantle a rock band

I'm a little reticent to write on this topic. Criticising U2 is a bit like taking a pop at America's past President or claiming the Brits just aren't 'edgy' anymore. It's an easy target for one, plus you run the risk of boring yourself and everyone else into a cliche induced coma. All that, for what is widely accepted, common knowledge anyway i.e. they're all a bit crap.

Still, having watched last weeks Culture Show Special on U2, I just can't help myself. I don't have much against their sound per se (what can I say? - I like the sound of guitars), I don't even want to rally against Bono's incessant ear bashing of political leaders in the name of the environment and famine - I'm sure he believes passionately that he's doing good and it's impossible to argue with the cause, even if you disagree with the methods.

No. My problem is the lack of artistry. There's not a smidgen of depth to any of their music, its banality is unmatched. "So what?" I hear you say, "there's a million and one bands you could describe that way." Well, yes you're right but it's not that alone that's the issue.

Bono prides himself on his political activism, but why then, does not an ounce of that manifest itself in his art? It would give his position as one of the most popular rock stars of our time some purpose, some reason. Instead we're left to pontificate over the great message of "It's a beautiful day".

As I've already said, it's an obvious criticism but the simple fact is, they are one of the biggest selling bands ever and therein lies a danger. Because they're a "rock" band, because they have guitars around their necks and because of past glories, they are untouchable. People believe this is the pinnacle of the genre - "they are the biggest, they are the greatest."

Rock music, or art itself, should be, and can be, so much more. U2 could be, and should be, so much more.

No comments: