Friday 6 March 2009

The Name of the Game

It's been one hell of a week. Ultrasounds, expectant revelations, podcasting, Laura's Dad taken into hospital after an electric scooter fell on his leg. It's had it all!

I don't wish to revel in the misfortune of my father-in-law, far from it, but on a purely philosophical level, I guess this is the wonder of life. Ups and downs, excitement and stresses.

Whatever way you want to look at it, I feel alive in this sense of variety, as if I'm truly experiencing the world to its fullest.

People often feel that marriage and kids tie you down, and of course you have to make great sacrifices, but not only are both these institutions of modern life incredibly rewarding in their own right but they make the moments of culture, creativity and escapism even more special.

A snatched pint with a mate one evening, a day to the countryside for two or a five-a-side football match crammed in between trips to the supermarket and finishing the ironing.

Aristotle believed we should lead a 'flourishing' life. I hope that's what I'm able to do. Or, to put it in Bruce Forsyth's terms, "Life is the name of the game".

No comments: