Tuesday 7 April 2009

Harbouring sentiment

Last weekend, Laura and I travelled up to Market Harbourough for the wedding of our good friends Gareth and Charlotte. It was a wonderful day and all the more special for me as it was the first time any of my close friends had decided to tie the knot.

I'm afraid I'm going to get a little sentimental now, (yet, if a wedding's not an appropriate time for emotion, I don't know when is) but it reminded both of us how very lucky we were, not only to have each other, but also so many great friends, especially in a relatively far away place (I know the midlands isn't exactly Timbuktu but neither is it on our doorstep).

After eating, drinking and making merry on the day itself, we then had Sunday morning to ourselves, deciding to visit nearby Foxton Locks. Here the Grand Union Canal climbs Foxton Hill via an historic staircase of locks and in the morning sunshine it was fantastically picturesque.

We sat and took in the beautiful view and I was moved to comment that the landscape wouldn't have differed an iota were we looking at it some 100 years ago. All rolling hills of green, there was not a road, electricity pylon or modern building in site.

A glimpse of permanence in an ever changing world, somehow it seemed an appropriate metaphor. Life is constantly in flux, our world forever in chaos, yet still, 'these three remain...faith, hope and love'.

I warned you I was going to get sentimental.

No comments: