Friday 10 April 2009

Top 5 - Favourite Chelsea Players (No.5)

After a discussion last weekend about favourite football players, I felt moved to get my top 5 down in writing. I should emphasise that these are my 'favourite' players rather than 'best' players although inevitably there will be some overlap. Anyway enough prevaricating, here we go in reverse order starting with no.5....

5) Gavin Peacock

As a young Chelsea fan, yet to enjoy the wonders of supporting a successful team, Gavin Peacock was a ray of hope.

Long before the crap goatee and the questionable punditry, the 93/94 season saw Chelsea acclaimed as the only team to beat eventual champions Manchester United both home and away. Both scorelines were 1-0 and both times the scorer was Mr Peacock.

In those days, much like today, to beat Man U was an unquestionable highlight but in this particular year Chelsea also had the glamour of a cup run to get excited about.

Peacock was pretty much an ever present, scoring in every round including an excellent strike from a vintage Tony Cascarino flick on in the semi-final against Luton Town. Manchester United awaited in the final and would famously clinch the double with a 4-0 thrashing, including two Eric Cantona penalties. Even Brian McClair got on the score sheet.

Obviously, I was devastated. I didn't expect us to win but those league results had given me hope. I certainly never expected that kind of humilation. However, there is one moment I always remember with fondness - at 0-0 early in the first half, Peacock unleashed a volley from outside of the box. It looped and arced over a surprised Schmeichel and for all the world I thought it was in. It crashed back off the top of the bar and was the last time the blues were to threaten.

It was an amazing volley and I'll always, until my dieing day, wonder what might have been had it gone in. I guess we probably would have lost 4-1 instead!

No comments: