Tuesday 21 April 2009

Wembley wonder



On Saturday I paid my first visit to the new Wembley Stadium.

I'd been to the old home of English football on numerous occasions and everytime been filled with a true sense of occasion and history as soon as those Twin Towers came into view.

My ticket to the semi-final had come at such short notice (through a friend of a friend) that the fact I was going to an FA Cup semi-final for the first time hadn't really sunk in. It certainly didn't give me time to consider what I'd make of this new incarnation of the stadium.

Somewhat unexpectedly, I was bowled over by it. Stepping out of Wembley Park tube station you're immediately greeted by Wembley Way stretching into the distance.

My eyes met the towering arch and my stomach twisted with excited anticipation. The fantastic view gave the whole thing a great sense of theatre - just what you need for arriving at such hallowed ground as this.

Indeed, the statue of Bobby Moore was surrounded by crowds of photographers as if worshipping at the feet of a deity, as if this one man represented all that is good about the history, glory and origin of the English game. Perhaps he does.

Once inside the stadium, the sheer scale is breathtaking. I'm used to four individual stands but Wembley is just one sweeping cauldron of fandom, reaching majestically to a gargantuan roof.

There's been so much controversy, delay and expense in its construction, and still managers moan about the state of the pitch, but let's put all that behind us now and cherish the focal point for our nations first love.

What we have is a fantastic and world class stadium still throbing with a sense of tradition, nostalgia and intangible speciality. I can't compare it to other great, modern stadia having never been to the likes of The Millenium Stadium, The Emirates etc. but regardless, Wembley still holds its magic for me, igniting a crackle and spark of electricity in my being. Wonderous.

No comments: