Wednesday 7 January 2009

An LP plea

There's something marvellous about sinking into a new album, especially one recorded by an artist new to eager ears. Listening to fresh music always brings a sense of anticipation but the real joy comes from the repeated listens, the moment when a particular melody suddenly imbeds itself unapologetically in the conscience or the recognition of a witty lyric previously unnoticed brings a wry smile.

Gradually, the listener unravels all the delicate nuances of an album initially too numerous to comprehend. It's this period of "getting to know" the music, before overfamiliarity confines it to the virtual shelves of the itunes library, that is the real wonder of the album format.

The best albums, I tend to find, are those that have an overiding theme, not concept albums necessarily but a collection of songs that work in conjunction with each other, their juxtapositon leading the listener on, conveying a message, emotion or condition and eliciting a reaction as all good art should.

***

In the post Christmas voucher spend I've picked up a number albums I've had my eye on for some time. To use a cliche, I'm like a child in a sweetshop, desperately trying to eek out the best value from my weekly pocket money allowance. When listening to a number of new albums at the same time, it's interesting to see which grab your attention first. Inevitably some will over others, but of course this doesn't mean they'll be the ones you're still turning to come February.

In the past, I've been given itunes vouchers as Christmas presents. Whilst grateful, I'm always a little reluctant to spend them knowing I'll miss holding the tangible CD, its artwork, lyric sheet and song listing. I hope the rise of downloads doesn't kill off the album or, even worse, put an end to the physical format altogether, perhaps the more likely. Either would be a great loss.

No comments: