Friday 30 January 2009

Super Bowl Sunday



Of all the US Sports that have invaded our shores over the years, the one I truly have time for is American Football. (I won't be drawn into any discussions over the use of the term 'soccer' or the common grievance we British have with the fact that the 'foot' is hardly used at all - Rugby, which I also enjoy as it happens, is often called 'Rugby Football', yet many of this games fans overlook the fact when grumbling about the American use of the term.)

As a child of the 80's I grew up at a time when American Football was in the midst of its greatest period of popularity here in Blighty. There was even a spin off league, the inappropriately named 'World League' (latterly 'NFL Europe') which catered for an English team, admittedly still construed of American, NFL rejects. They were called the 'London Monarchs' - a more cringeworthy name would be hard to find - but I didn't care, they were my team.

I would regularly go to their games at the old Wembley and I remember vividly the day they won the inaugural World Bowl in 1991. To this day I still haven't seen a football match at the famous stadium, old or new.

Normally I'm adverse to the over Americanisation of our culture, following the Libertines mantra of there being, "few more distressing sights than that/Of an Englishman in a baseball cap." With American Football though, I have to make an exception.

To those who don't have time for it, it's a nonsense - "All those pads, the stopping and starting, I can't understand it." I've heard it many a time, but when you look closer you begin to see the incredible tactical and strategic nature of the game. Each play is designed with sophistication, every player has their role, their movement intended to create space or cause confusion - it's wonderful!!

Then of course there's the aesthetic. It's thrilling to watch a long pass down field, ball spiralling tightly into the arms of a diving receiver, or a running back ducking and weaving behind his blockers, paving the way for him to sprint up field. Yes it's stop start but each play is a short sharp burst of action, different but no less strenuous on the players than a 90min slog.

***

On Sunday night we see the culmination of the current NFL season as the Arizona Cardinals take on the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII. It's watched by some 100million people around the world, most probably drawn to the glitz, glamour and sense of occasion, maybe even just the half-time show (practically a stadium gig in its own right).

I just hope though that people can see past all the showmanship because if you're patient and know where to look, you'll find an intriguing chess match is unravelling. A chess match with the odd bit of adrenaline filled action here and there too.

3 comments:

The_Face said...

I'm currently sat watching on the strength of your excellent recommendation. Not sure I quite understand what's going on on the field but any sporting event that has The Boss as half time entertainment is alright by me!

jockyblue82 said...

Brilliant! Hope you enjoyed it.

Waiting with baited breath for your top album of 2008.

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree with you more Jockey - all those years of playing John Madden on the mega drive means I have a soft spot for the game too - the juxtaposition between the elegant tactics and brute force is a winner.