Thursday 13 November 2008

Electricityscape

Yesterday evening, being a Wednesday, was 5-a-side football night. As it was a 19:00 kick off I arranged, as usual, to meet Chris at Waterloo Station for 18:00 where we jump on a train direct to the footy. He doesn't finish until 17:30 and has just enough time to get from Old Street to Waterloo on the tube.

Meanwhile, I have an hour to kill, so usually take a slow stroll across town. When the weather's good it really is the most amazing of walks. I go past the Guildhall and on towards St Paul's Cathedral, which when lit up looks really imposing. I realise just how big it is.

Then down to the Thames and over the Millennium Bridge for great views of the river, Tower Bridge, The Globe Theatre and of course the Tate Modern. All that history and culture in such a small section of the city!!!

Once on the South Bank, I head away from the old power station past Gabriel's Wharf, it's muralled wall overlooking restaurants and boutiques, full of tourists and city dwellers sipping at continental beers and wines.

Before long, I reach the Royal National Theatre and the South Bank Centre with their sombre 50's style concrete. Here, there's a great collection of 2nd hand books on sale outside, laid out on rows of tables, a brilliant place to pick up the odd cheap novel or two.

Walking away from the river and past the London Studios I can see the London Eye up on high, the IMAX theatre through the gaps in the office blocks and then it's Waterloo Bridge and into the station.

Sometimes I'm amazed by how exciting and electric London can seem. Even though I've worked here for four years and lived in the city's shadow most of my life, I guess I'm still a little in awe of it. I've only ever been inside a handful of the places I've just described, a shame really, but I guess for some reason it's all a little intimidating. All that sensory overload!!! Yet that's what I love about London too - the infinite possibilities!!

No comments: