Monday 24 November 2008

Wishful thinking

It's that time of year again. Relatives, like cold callers on heat (if that's not an oxymoron), confront you when you least expect it with these 6 words: "What would you like for Christmas?"

I never have a wish list to hand! I don't mean to sound like an ungrateful little blighter, but it does strike fear into my heart.

"Erm...ah...well...vouchers? Maybe? I really don't mind." Normally, this is followed by a distinct expression of disappointment down the other end of the line. An "Oh okay", perhaps or an, "Are sure you don't want something more exciting?"

Am I being flippant in response to these generous requests? I don't mean to be. The problem is, if I did say what I really wanted, I'd get a slightly different reply, but an ultimately similar result.

-"Yes, now, what I'd really like is a pair of skinny jeans, faded, but not too much, no rips. Just the right side of distressed. Or a boxset of Reggie Perrin? - Of course you can't get that in HMV but it's on Amazon marketplace. Just be careful not to get the wrong region or it won't play. Or how about the lost episodes of Hancock's Half Hour? There's a box set out now."
-"Oh.... okay.....erm, shall I just get you some vouchers?"

No, it's no good. I do feel like an ungrateful little blighter - and now a pretencious so and so to boot. I'm going to have to come up with something and fast!!!....Where's that Argos catalogue?

No comments: