Saturday 15 November 2008

Wogan Worry

After a pleasant after work drink or two with the new Dr Watts in Covent Garden, I arrived home about 8 o'clock and settled down with Laura for an evening of Children in Need. It was full of the usual guff - singing newsreaders, dancing Eastenders etc, etc. but one thing struck me amongst all the goodwill and generous donating - Sir Terry.

Is it me or has he turned into the loosest canon since Bobby Ball's sidekick last paid a visit to his local? I know it was live telly, but if people think Brucie's doddery, they should have seen Wogan!! Either he's really lost it or he just simply doesn't give a toss anymore. Frequently, he would be openly unaware of to whom he was supposed to be linking, what item was next on the agenda and, at one point, was in completely the wrong place in the audience to meet a particular group of fundraisers. At this realisation, he comically looked to those seated around him, "This lot know less about why I'm here than I do!"

It was great to watch him snipe and snide his way through an evening supposed to be given over to goodwill, criticising celebrities for being unable to read out the donation telephone number correctly - somewhat hypocritically in the circumstances - and talking over co-presenters as they tried to hold it all together. At one point, I'm sure Terry had simply had enough and walked off. Hilarious, but it won't do him any favours.

Regardless of whether this was rebellious eccentricity or woeful incapability, I salute you Terry Wogan. It takes a lot to make Bruce Forsyth look slick!!! Still, I'd take either of those ageing masters over the awful Patrick Kielty or BBC golden boy Graham Norton.

Over our post work pint, Gaz mentioned his high regard for Jimmy Carr, suggesting he was the most likely of the current crop of comics to take over the mantle of the Monkhouse, Wogan, Forsyth generation. I hope so. Some are gone and others won't be around for much longer. I, for one, will miss them.